Published by @app103 on 2018-07-06
Makes about 7 quarts. Feeds about 6-8 people.
- 1 cup barley
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken, beef, or vegetable stock (divided)
- 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 tsp Mrs Dash Italian blend
- 2 tsp smoked, sweet paprika (not regular paprika and not the hot stuff)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 4 large spoons jarred chopped garlic, packed in water (or 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped)
- 3-4 carrots peeled and sliced thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large zucchini cut up
- 20 green beans, cut up
- 1 medium turnip or 2-3 small turnips, cut up
- 1-2 handfuls frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh kale or turnip greens, torn into small pieces (don’t use the center stems)
- 2 cans beans, any type, no salt added
- Combine all above ingredients, in order, except canned beans and 1 quart of the stock, cover and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Empty contents of your pressure cooker into a larger pot, on the stovetop, and add the remaining quart of stock.
- Rinse canned beans well and stir in.
- Heat till soup reaches serving temperature.
Serve with grated cheese (optional) and a good crusty bread.