Published by @app103 on 2018-07-06
My whole family loves spicy breakfast sausage, but finding a brand that isn’t loaded with excessive amounts of salt, seems to be an impossible endeavor. So, I decided to make my own, using ground turkey and a blend of herbs and spices, inspired from multiple recipe sources. The result was this healthy recipe, containing no added salt or sugar, that doesn’t skimp on the flavor. It’s perfect for a Sunday morning breakfast, or make in bulk to freeze, for a quick heat & serve protein addition to your morning meal.
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 ground cloves
- 1/8 ground nutmeg
- 1 lb ground turkey (do not use 100% turkey breast or it will come out very dry tasting)
- Place herbs and spices into a spice grinder or dedicated coffee grinder, and grind into a fine powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey and herb/spice blend and mix well.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, for full flavor to develop.
- Form into 2 oz patties. (use a scale)
- In a 10” non-stick frying pan, cook 3-4 at a time, slowly, over low flame, till well browned and cooked all the way through.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.